AVAILABLE POSITIONS Senior QA Engineer – Star Wars Commander / Dawn of Titans
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
One Team: Three Epic Games.
NaturalMotion’s Action Strategy Group is a BAFTA-nominated team developing an exciting new Star Wars™ game and running live operations on Dawn of Titans and Star Wars™: Commander.
The team have a tight-knit, sociable culture and a strong team identity whilst leveraging all the benefits that come from being part of NaturalMotion and Zynga. The team create world-leading, action strategy titles on a foundation of trust and camaraderie, with weekly team show and tells, frequent social events and kudos sharing on our ‘Awesome Wall’.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
As a Senior QA Engineer, you will own the test strategy for the largest and most complex features and project processes, working side by side with other disciplines in the studio. You’ll be a pillar of good practise and knowledge for other internal QA staff, as well as the larger external teams of manual testers we work closely with. You will already have built a toolbox of manual functional testing skills to apply to new project challenges and will be looking to further your learning.
Reporting to the QA Manager for Action Strategy, you will be working across our two live games in the genre, Dawn of Titans and Star Wars Commander, as well as any new projects in development. Both of these are mid-core strategy games with asynchronous battle games.
Working with multi-discipline feature teams across the two projects and will lead the test strategy for features created by within those teams. You will know how to approach manual test creation for different scenarios, what level of detail to use and what software packages to use in the creation of those tests: Test Sessions in JIRA, scripted suites TestRail or otherwise.
Effective vendor use: Performing in-sprint component testing yourself and organising other tests to be run by external vendor teams. Set the standard for test estimations and coordination processes with other QA Engineers in the use of the joint-resource external teams. You’ll also have knowledge of the test levels and how to approach each one.
Information, Reporting and Communication: Adept at creating tests that get the clearest results and then summarising that test data into useful, digestible, reports for the internal feature team to action. You will know when an email report is more effective than an instant message and when a face-to-face is the way to go.
Business Acumen and decision making: Recognising the delicate balance between quality and other business priorities; knowing the ROI of testing and how to navigate difficult project decisions.
Best Practise and Mentoring: You will be evangelising QA best practises and running, mentoring and training for more junior members of the internal and external QA teams. As well as within the QA discipline, you’ll also be pivotal in representing the discipline during planning meetings and retrospectives.
Essential Experience & Skills
- Strong experience working in a game studio as part of a feature team, sprint team or similar
- Complete manual functional test ownership of major and difficult game areas.
- Strong experience and effective use of external test teams to execute your test plans. (Task estimation, team organisation, task prioritisation, etc.)
- Strong experience taking part in sprints, being involved in planning, retrospectives and estimations
- Experience of Live Ops and Games-as-a-service projects
- Strong initiative and ability to proactively self-manage
- Aware of the defect metrics the QA team should be tracking to measure success
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication
- Familiarity with source control and branching
Desirable Experience & Skills
- ISTQB/ISEB Foundation certifications or equivalent certifications
- Experience working on mobile platforms: iOS and Android
- Experience of testing client/server interactions
- Familiarity with development environments such as Xcode, Visual Studio, Android SDK, Unity, Unreal or similar
- Experienced with agile methodologies
- Experience of QA within pre-production projects and prototyping phases
- Experience of technical areas and tooling: Network tools, Performance tools, Analytics tools, API test tooling, Automation frameworks, device farms, or similar
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Discounted gym membership and free weekly yoga class
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit, snacks & soft drinks provided daily, as well as free lunch on Fridays
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour every Friday
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Careers region: NM - United Kingdom
Careers Category: QA & Customer Support
Careers location: London, United Kingdom
Careers Type: Full-Time