AVAILABLE POSITIONS Senior Game Designer (Meta) – Star Wars IP
We are BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family. Our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep compelling gameplay to mobile platforms.In 2018 & 2019, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As Senior Game Designer (Meta), you will work hand in hand with the rest of game design, product management, and creative leadership to define the core loops and strategies that regulate the economy, metagame, and progression for our new premiere Star Wars mobile shooter.
You approach the design of economies and metagame loops with a design-minded eye that looks for fun and sustainability in equal measure. You know that live data and metrics are a crucial tool in balancing a game economy, but that they work in harmony with your instincts as an experienced game maker.
You have experience in designing and balancing complex progression systems. You understand the motivations that keep players coming back to a great game day after day, week after week, and month after month. You know instinctively that our free players are just as important as our paid players, and build systems that respect their time and deliver fun, compelling gameplay regardless of their investment level.
You are a vocal advocate for the power of free-to-play gaming, and understand deeply and intuitively how free-to-play economies work. You are someone who wants to push the boundaries of what free-to-play can be, and look for next-generation methods for designing innovative, fair, and ethical metagames and economies. You can communicate that passion to the rest of the team and pass your knowledge and enthusiasm for it along to others as an effective mentor and guide.
Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
This role reports directly to the project’s Creative Director.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Work with creative leadership and product management to build the economic loops necessary for a successful free-to-play game
- Develop compelling in-game metagame loops and progression models that keep players engaged long-term
- Be a bridge between design and product management to own the design-facing side of major economic and metagame features.
- Analyze and make smart use of metrics and data in conjunction with product management to assess efficacy of metagame and economy balance
- Own major pieces of the design from start to finish.
- Designed and managed the metagame or economy for successful, live F2P games on any platform.
- Experience with analysing and making decisions with live game metrics and data on a successful F2P game on any platform
- Deeply familiar with progression systems and metagame design in modern shooters on all platforms.
- Experience in leading the feature design process from ideation and prototyping through polish and completion.
- Able to communicate effortlessly with product managers, engineers, and other creative professionals to communicate your vision for the game’s economies.
- A believer in the power, reach, and potential of the next generation of mobile gaming, even if you’ve never built one before.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance.
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world.
- Work in a family-friendly, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job.
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers.
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture.
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere.
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday.
- 25 days holiday plus Christmas shutdown and public holiday.
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan.
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance.
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave.
- Annual rail season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme.
- Well stocked office kitchen and free Monday studio lunch.
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Careers region: NM - United Kingdom
Careers Category: Game Design & Production
Careers location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Careers Type: Full-Time