AVAILABLE POSITIONS Senior Director of Engineering -Racing
Careers Category: Engineering
Careers location: London, UK
Connected Worker Type: Connected
Requisition Id: R_109805-2
At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last. For the past six years, NaturalMotion Studios have been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz
Our Racing Studio – responsible for the CSR Racing franchise and the #1 Racing Game on Mobile CSR2 – is one of the most ambitious, successful, and creatively inclusive studios in the UK. Based across three locations – London, Birmingham and Bangalore – the team loves welcoming diverse, humble, straightforward and ambitious talent, aspiring for award-winning excellence. People who want to find a place where they will be supported and encouraged to do the best work of their career.
In the role of Senior Director of Engineering you are the strategic craft leader for the NM Racing engineering function.
The role currently spans three teams, three locations and external developers. Responsible not only for the effective leadership of engineering teams on our game projects, this role also sets craft strategy, standards, aspirations, visions and goals to drive innovation and excellence in the future.
Responsible for headcount and team shape planning, you will be in front of innovations in game development to help ensure the team is prepared for its future.
As Senior Director of Engineering, you will have a clear understanding of your leadership style and its impact on others, and be able to use a range of directive and non-directive leadership skills to get the best from your team. You will balance delivering results with caring for the needs of your team. You will motivate and guide others to excellence, acting as a role model for organisational, technical, and creative skills, whilst showing others ‘what good looks like’.
- Build, mentor and lead a team of 50+ engineers to build our next generation of Racing franchise games across multiple platforms
- Collaborate with design, art, production, product managers, analytics, QA, live operations, central tech and leadership teams to specify and build game features and development tools, planning releases, and delivering on schedule
- Create and execute development plans, deploy best-in-class processes and innovate in software development. Proactively identify, prioritize, triage and resolve development issues as they arise, in consultation with other discipline leaders in the studio.
- Fostering a culture that embraces sustainable live operations, a regular cadence of game content and updates, and high-quality rapid releases
- Review production plans, backlogs, and investigate ways to reduce technical debt
- Inspire, grow and lead managers. Guide and mentor your leads to be the best they can be for themselves and for their staff.
- Build a robust team that functions autonomously, is technically innovative and creates value for our players.
- Lead by example. Be a strong technical partner for the leads and engineers. Be a domain expert in one or more technical areas such as gameplay, UI/UX, rendering, server infrastructure etc. but also comfortable leading a technical discussion in any domain.
- Attract and recruit top engineering talent. Driving Engineering and other studio and business-wide recruitment activities
- Grow with the business; stretch yourself and learn new skills and domains
- Have fun; we’re making games!
We are looking for:
- Deep experience in leading software development for mobile, desktop, web and/or server applications.
- Track record of building successful teams and delivering and operating multiple sophisticated software product, at scale
- Shown success at developing and leading people and growing their careers.
- A team player who is insatiably curious and strives for excellence.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary and discretionary annual bonus scheme
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world
- Work in a family-oriented, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday
- 26 days holiday + bank holidays, 2 paid personal days
- 6 months of fully paid maternity/adoption leave or 16 weeks of fully paid paternity leave (eligibility criteria apply)
- Pension plan with a double matching employer contribution (capped at 8%)
- Private medical insurance, dental insurance and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance, accident insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Company Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) (eligibility criteria apply)
- Fitness Reimbursement plan worth £600 per annum
- Charitable Giving Platform to which the Company contributes a 2:1
- Annual season ticket advance and cycle to work scheme
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at accommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.
Zynga does not engage in financial exchanges during the recruitment or onboarding process. We do not conduct job interviews over third-party messaging apps such as Telegram, WhatsApp or others. We will never ask you for your personal or financial information over unofficial chat channels. Our in-house recruitment team only contacts individuals via official company email addresses (i.e., via a zynga.com or naturalmotion.com email domain).
If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, you may wish to contact the authorities. In the United States, you may file a complaint with the FBI. More information is available here: https://www.ic3.gov.
Select Your Country of Residence