AVAILABLE POSITIONS Senior Counsel, IP
Zynga is looking for a highly qualified Senior Intellectual Property Counsel to join its rapidly growing legal department and head its IP function. In this role, you will be the primary point person responsible for the management of all IP matters involving the company. This position will report to the Deputy General Counsel.
Lead internal counsel and chief evangelist on IP matters for all products and entities
- Manage game naming, product and marketing IP clearance process
- Develop and drive IP strategy relating to trademark, copyright, right of publicity, unsolicited ideas policies, trade secret protection, patents, IP competitive analysis, domain name registrations, and corporate branding
- Lead copyright, trademark, patent and domain name prosecution process and strategy
- Direct enforcement efforts relating to Zynga’s intellectual property, including litigation and dispute resolution as needed
- Lead legal resource for IP matters relating to M&A, including IP analysis, strategy and diligence, and relating to IP assertion and infringement matters.
- Effectively manage outside counsel in patent prosecution and maintenance matters.
- Handle or support outbound and inbound IP licensing transactions.
- Lead and review potential IP conflicts for new hires/contractors, and manage the clearance of employee outside activities
- Lead legal resource for open source matters, including clearing open source project participation and reviewing open source licenses for product use.
- Manage formal registration of various forms of IP.
- Develop and implement IP training, policies, and usage guidelines across Zynga
- Manage Zynga’s global trademark, patent, copyright and domain name portfolios
- Lead online enforcement efforts, including DMCA, social media, domain name, and other enforcement
- Lead Zynga’s intellectual property legal team and support its contract, employment, product compliance, government affairs and corporate legal teams.
- Manage and train IP supporting staff and help to delegate appropriate duties.
- Effectively manage outside counsel and legal budgets
10+ years of experience focusing on products, licensing and technology transactions and IP strategy with demonstrated IP thought leadership
- Experience at a top-tier law firm desired; In-house experience strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of intellectual property (copyright, trademark, right of publicity, patents, trade secrets, idea misappropriation), open source licensing and contract laws
- Knowledge of video games, social networking, web technology and Internet business models preferred
- Experience negotiating IP license agreements, joint development agreements, and technology transfer agreements
- Experience leading IP litigation, mediation and arbitration
- The ability to interact, develop and discuss strategy with senior management
- Ability to work under pressure in an intense, fast-paced environment required
- Strong analytical and problem-resolution skills; exceptional business judgment, with the ability to think strategically and give practical advice by balancing business needs with legal risks
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and functions of the company
- Ability to find appropriate balance between legal risks and the need of the business
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Ability to work under pressure with a sense of humor a must
- Must be a member in good standing of a bar, but preferably the California Bar.
- Registered Patent Attorney.
Zynga is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud of our broad community; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds. Join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Zynga is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need an accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.
Careers region: North America
Careers Category: Legal, Finance & Operations
Careers location: Austin, TX
Careers Type: Full-Time