AVAILABLE POSITIONS Principal Software Engineer – Zynga Poker (Server/backend)
Careers Category: Engineering
Careers location: Austin, TX, Toronto, Canada
Connected Worker Type: Connected
Requisition Id: R_110822
Zynga is looking for a backend server engineer in the Austin or Toronto areas, and more specifically, someone whose level of experience should be equivalent to a Principal Software Engineer.
We have a tight-knit, distributed team with a healthy mix of engineering skill levels, and are looking to strengthen our team. We need a dedicated and motivated engineer who is a strong communicator, works well as a teammate, and performs well under pressure of tight deadlines.
The candidate would have an opportunity to work on high-performance, large-scale applications, systems architecture, and have a focus on solving ambitious problems for high profile titles. The ideal candidate will be fluent in Golang, be able to build APIs and services using REST and will have at least 6 years of experience working on teams in the game industry.
Our mission is to “Connect the World through Games” by building a truly social experience that makes the world a better place. To be successful in this role you will have a passion for games, a high level of integrity, great technical depth and skills, and a strong desire to build successful software.
- Feature and Gameplay Backend-Server Engineer working in Golang
- Individual Contributor, working along side a of a Technical Lead (TL) or as a TL
- Define, architect, & develop features and gameplay functionality in Golang
- Develop & integrate new technologies and tools
- Dive into the internals of core systems to extend them as-needed
- Develop and integrate new technologies & SDKs
- Proactively optimize code & memory for high performance game application
- Scope out large tasks and system with minimal direction, and help with delegation of that work; work closely with other engineers to lead multi-week or month-long efforts
- Give team and/or divisional tech talks on architectures that you’ve built
- Work to identify and help to improve team and process inefficiencies
- Provide mentorship and technical leadership to less experienced team members
- Demonstrate outstanding coding and development skills, including critical review and improvements to software developed by other specialists
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent education / work experience
- 6+ Years game industry / mobile app experience as a software developer
- Prior game development experience (on shipped titles or live games experience)
- Expert working knowledge in Golang, C#, and HTML
- Strong working experience in implementing APIs and services (RPC and REST)
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and software methodologies
- Have solid working knowledge of the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Excellent communication skills and comfort working in a collaborative environment
BONUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with Git and Jenkins
- Experience in Unity
- Experience with performance profiling and optimization
- Knowledge of Docker, Database (Postgres, Mysql, Couchbase), AWS (eks, msk, redis), Grpc, and Protobuf
- Experience with Bugsnag, Splunk and Datadog
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
- Competitive salary, bonus plan and ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- 401K Company Match Contribution (US)
- RRSP/DPSP company match contribution (Canada)
- Health coverage, dental, disability, critical illness, EAP, and life insurance (Canada)
- Medical, dental, vision, EAP, life insurance, and disability benefits (US)
- Virtual mental health and neurodiversity support programs
- Global Fitness reimbursement program
- Global Wellbeing Program
- Financial wellness program with unlimited access to certified financial planners
- Discretionary Time Off policy for many employees
- Family planning support program
- Generous paid parental, pregnancy-related disability, caregiver, and compassionate leaves
- Subsidized Back-up child care
- Zynga happy hours and frequent employee events
- Flexible working hours on many teams
- Culture of diversity and inclusion including employee resource groups
- Work with cool people and impact millions of daily player
However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at AccommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.
Zynga does not engage in financial exchanges during the recruitment or onboarding process. We do not conduct job interviews over third-party messaging apps such as Telegram, WhatsApp or others. We will never ask you for your personal or financial information over unofficial chat channels. Our in-house recruitment team only contacts individuals via official company email addresses (i.e., via a zynga.com or naturalmotion.com email domain).
If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, you may wish to contact the authorities. In the United States, you may file a complaint with the FBI. More information is available here: https://www.ic3.gov.
Select Your Country of Residence