AVAILABLE POSITIONS Game Designer (Technical) – Star Wars IP
We’re BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family, our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep, compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. As a key member of our team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse team of experienced developers and utilize leading-edge technology and content pipelines. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
As Game Designer (Technical), you will work with both the gameplay and level design teams to bring best editor practices to both, build performant and fun gameplay systems, and solve interesting technical problems. You will be a bridge link design and engineering to ensure designers have the tools they need to bring our world to life.
You are an experienced scripter who can take the tools that the editor provides and make amazing things with them. While not an engineer, you can speak their language and interface seamlessly with them to achieve results together. You have a sharp analytical mindset and a keen approach to practical problem solving that makes you an asset to everyone on the design team. You’re a proponent for designing through constant playtest and iteration, and are an ardent voice for the practice on the design team and to the studio at large.
Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
This role reports to the Design Director.
- Build and script gameplay behaviour in the editor.
- Help drive design tools construction and be the liaison from design to engineering in creating new editor functionality.
- Adopt best practices in the editor across the entire design team. Maintain tools and best practice documentation.
- Review work by other designers to ensure adherence to those practices and that the work is performant and efficient.
- Technical design experience on a UE4 project.
- Deeply familiar with scripting languages, both graphical (UE4 Blueprints) and non (Lua, Java, etc.).
- Able to collaborate and communicate well with engineers to introduce new editor functionality.
- General knowledge of all parts of game design from systems to combat to level.
- A believer in the power, reach, and potential of the next generation of mobile gaming, even if you’ve never built one before.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world
- Work in a family-oriented, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday
- 25 days plus Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Well stocked office kitchen and free lunch on Mondays
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Careers region: NM - United Kingdom
Careers Category: Game Design & Production
Careers location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Careers Type: Full-Time