AVAILABLE POSITIONS Creative Director – Star Wars IP
We’re BossAlien, part of the NaturalMotion family, our mission is to bring AAA console visuals and deep, compelling gameplay to mobile platforms. As a key member of our team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse team of experienced developers and utilize leading-edge technology and content pipelines. In 2018, NaturalMotion Studios were named one of the Best Places to Work in the UK games industry by gamesindustry.biz.
Summary and Purpose
As Creative Director at BossAlien, you will be the vision holder for a new, premiere mobile shooter set in the Star Wars universe. First and foremost, you have a deep love and intuitive feel for shooter gameplay, and understand not only the broad strokes of the genre as it has developed over the last 25 years, but also deeply understand the nuances that make it tick, and what sets a best-in-class shooter apart from ones that are simply good.
You are the creative ambassador to other stakeholders, both on the team and above it. You will ensure understanding of the design vision across disciplines, and ensure design coherence and a fun player experience in the finished product.
You believe strongly in the future of AAA game experiences on mobile, and recognize the revolutionary and exciting prospects of bringing extremely high-quality and feature-rich games to the unprecedented global audience that mobile platforms afford.
You are a proponent for designing through constant playtest and iteration, and are an evangelist for the process not only on the design team, but to all disciplines within the studio.
Finally, you have a love and admiration for the Star Wars universe, and embrace the opportunity to make your mark and tell your story within one of the most beloved and storied franchises of all time.
This is a studio leadership role that will report directly to our General Manager.
Creative and Product Vision
- Define, maintain, and communicate the creative vision for the project to ensure a best-in-class player experience.
- Develop strong relationships with Art, Engineering, Sound, Product, and other departments to make that vision a reality.
- Partner with Production, Product Management, Marketing, and Consumer Insights to ensure proper creative positioning of the product, understand and build with our audience in mind, and guide the vision based on analytics and data.
- Provide ongoing creative support for the project at all stages of the product lifecycle.
- Define and drive playtest and iteration culture both on your design team and for the team at large.
- Communicate and evangelize the direction and vision for the game upwards to executive stakeholders, and outwards to external partners.
- Guide development of features and systems using deep genre knowledge of shooters.
- Ensure design cohesion and best practices across the team, and communicate them via documentation, presentations, and mentoring.
- Review and provide feedback on systems, feature, and content designs and provide guidance to other leaders and designers.
- Provide day-to-day management for a team of designers from diverse backgrounds.
- Mentor and guide the design team on their respective career trajectories
- Impart your experience and methods to the team, and leverage their own strengths and backgrounds to build a versatile team capable of tackling any challenge.
- An experienced senior/lead designer or design director with shipped titles under your belt.
- Deeply familiar with what it takes to develop and ship a AAA quality title on time and at quality
- A master of design systems, workflows, and process.
- Intensely and passionately familiar with all aspects of shooter design, from the high level picture to the smallest combat nuances. Ideally, you’ve shipped one.
- An effortless communicator, visually and verbally.
- A believer in the power, reach, and potential of the next generation of mobile gaming, even if you’ve never built one before.
What Do We Offer?
- Competitive salary, discretionary annual bonus scheme and Zynga stock allowance
- Create next-gen games that will be played and loved by millions of players around the world
- Work in a family-oriented, collaborative team that invests in your development and growth on-the-job
- A diverse team of friendly, fun and supportive co-workers
- Flexible working hours & crunch-free working culture
- Communal music and laid-back atmosphere
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the studio each Friday
- 25 days holiday, plus Christmas shutdown
- Private medical care and healthcare cash plan
- Life insurance and critical illness insurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- 6 months fully paid maternity leave or 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Annual season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Well stocked office kitchen
NaturalMotion is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Careers region: NM - United Kingdom
Careers location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Careers Type: Full-Time